Skip to main content

The Beginning of the Blogging Journey

January 2019, River Rock Pottery is officially entering its third fiscal year!  I am filled with gratitude to all of the people who have supported the growth this project.  Every time a person shares a story with me about how a piece of my work has entered their lives, I am humbled.

I have voiced my intentions for this business many times, but never written them down.  So, I figure it may be a fine idea to try and blog about them.  Perhaps that might make my intentions and my accomplishments more concrete, more public and more visible for me to see.

This first post was inspired by my child's teacher Ms. Michelle vanHeuten.  Her online story about inquiry and learning is so rich and colourful; she shares her passion beautifully.

Successful blogging is foreign to me -- I have attempted quite a few times but have never made it past the first few posts.  Life is about picking up and trying again isn't it?  The beauty of our lives is that each day is new and pure and open for us to simply try again.  So that is what I am doing.  Trying again, this time the topic of the blog is something very important to me, a business that has grown out of some pretty desperate times in my life.  Not desperate in the sense of finances or health or tragedy that can be easily explained.  The desperation was deep inside, more in a sense of self worth, of identity of a lost sense of place and belonging in my life....but this blog, (well at least this first post) is not about that.

A blog focussed on River Rock Pottery could be a place to describe things like the tugging at my fingers I feel to be out there working with the clay, producing works of art and forms of function.  The actual pottery I produce is merely a physical representation of the beautiful journey I am on called life.  There is potential within blog posts to provide my mind with a form of unravelling...to connect the pressing thoughts with underlying meaning.  Who knows...I imagine a blog could also be a place to post new works, as well as share the challenges and frustrations along the way!

I'm going to stop here and see how this whole blog thing works.  Wish me luck on this new little blogging project!!  It could be very fun to share my stories as I work to grow my business in a way that makes me feel fulfilled.

Trish




Comments

  1. Your pottery is amazing and reveals so much of who you are. Looking forward to your blogging growth and that of River Rock Pottery.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The tugging of time

The List that Seems to Consume me 50 large beer steins 1 counter top utensil holder 6 large red coffee mugs 2 baby food dishes with dividers and custom name logos 14 stemless wine glasses -prepare a selection of work to display at the Urban Art Market and deliver for first time -design and print custom price tags -develop personalized logo and branding We are shutting off the water to the barn tomorrow for the rest of the winter.  I will have to do a mop of the barn, fill some water buckets and clean the place up while I still have the convenience of running water!  This will take up the precious hours I have today. I have some sample beer steins ready to be bisque (the first firing process of a piece of pottery).  My goal with the samples is to try to figure out how to make an exact 16 oz. mug to satisfy the needs of the brewery ideas for a 'mug club'.  Because the clay pieces shrink so much during the fire processes...this is something I need to experi...